Travel with Sunbuns - Latest News

A complete list of my new blogs (January 2019):

Follow me on Twitter:
@sunbuns or @cmnm (both are open to all)

Take a glance through my Guys Into CMNM Blog.

Visit our Clothed Man / Naked Man (CMNM) website (includes social networks) and a CMNM Events and Info Links

See list of upcoming CMNM events on Eventbrite:
CMNM Events: See list of upcoming CMNM events on Eventbrite:

Saturday, March 10, 2007

Gran Canaria : Gay Nude Vacation Resort Island

If you want a great gay trip to Europe, then set your destination for Gran Canaria, one of Spain's Canary Islands located off the coast of Morocco - just 100 miles from the coast of West Africa. I recemmend that you choose Gran Canaria and plan to stay in Playa del Ingles.

You can find decent accommodation on alpharooms.com
(I have been twice March last year and this year and plan to go again in March 2007). Each time I have found very reasonable accommodation (Tinache Apartments has single rooms with kitchenettes). I personally don't recommend staying at a gay resort - there are plenty of gay things to do out for the hotel so paying extra just to be surrounded by other gay couples isn't worth for me. But do as you see fit. I stay at gay resorts in areas where is it harder to meet gay men in the general public - that will not be a problem in Playa del Ingles - with the Dunes and so many gay bars/clubs.
The island is a great winter vacation and has good scuba diving - well, it may not rival the tropics but I have enjoyed it - a 5mm wetsuit was warm enough with water temps about 18-20 C. You can find some cheaper tickets to Gran Canaria (LPA) on Yahoo, Orbitz or other cheap airfare dealers. There are frequent flights from London and Frankfurt, often not on the major carriers but on holiday express routers and discount airlines. I have just SpanAir for cheap flights from Madrid and Barcelona - but other Spain or European departures points are available. I find it useful to fly and return to / from different cities - so that the European vacation gets stretched from gay holiday into a richly cultural and educational one.
The Maspalomas dunes can be wild -- guys are cruising but even hot at some of the gay bars in Playa del Ingles -- I went to the one on the ground floor of the Yumba Shopping Center (converts from tourist shopping mall to gay mecca at night). It was a back room bar with 100 naked men (check your clothes when you enter after 11:30pm). I prefer the dunes for plain cruising -- although men range in age from 20s - 60s - but there are plenty of hot dudes. I plan to go back next March.

Of course, it's a bit like Florida with all the 'northerners and retired couples - average age must to 65 but you can certainly have a gay old time too. There are plenty of younger people (30-40s or so too).
It's not a cultural location - if you want great museums, galleries, and elegant shopping areas then you should stay on the mainland (Europe).. Gran Canaria ( I can't compare the other islands because I've never been) is a ocean resort town - time slows down, people stay out late, get up late and lounge around at pools or on the beach (a lot of them in the nude). There are theme parks - I enjoyed the wild bird and limited zoo, but there a couple more. Exploring the island's indigenious culture and history is a great activity, hiking and walking over the varied terrains, diving / windsurfing, and a visit to the historic capital - where Columbus landed on four of his discovery visits.

You won't really have any trouble hooking up for sex at the bars or anonymously on the nude beach (Maspalomas dunes). Go into the dunes (prepared with condoms, lube, sun screen, and plenty of water). I have not had anything stolen but it's probably good to watch your stuff - I did have my water stolen once. It is hot - temperature wise and it IS hot - sexual climate too! Guys are sometimes get into group sex so it can be very stimulating to stay there all day long - save something for the gay clubs later.
Well, the temps in early - mid March are up to 24 C (in the 70s F).After 10:00pm you'll be able to socialize and find a nice guy to talk to at one of the bar at the Yumbo Center (shopping mall).
At night, it turns into a gay entertainment mall. I am planning to Gran Canaria (Playa del Ingles not from the Dunes at Maspalomas) from about March 22-27. I went last year from March 19-25, and the previous year from March 13-20. Somehow I have never managed to hit Carnival (I guess because it's in Feb) and Gay Pride which is held in May. (reposted here - published onone of my blogs elsewhere)

No comments: